Tuesday, July 03, 2007

flaws and all

i know myself pretty well... sure, i'm learning more everyday, but the years i've spent with me, have afforded me the inside info on just who and how i am.
i am happy with me, for the most part. there are areas i struggle in, things on my body i really would like to tweak...and there are things in life that down right tick me off. i am most aquainted with, probably, my flaws. that isn't to say that i don't know my strengths well, it's just that i tend to focus in on the things that aren't just right.

that's probably why i love Beyonce's song (i have the video on my side bar)

the song expresses awe at how a man can be exposed to her flaws and STILL love her. it's amazing, because generally speaking we don't accept our own flaws.
the message in the song is also overwhelming because it expresses the desire in
every woman's heart, and every man for that matter...to be loved, flaws and all.

there is a lesson in it, we have to begin by loving people despite their flaws.
As long as those flaws aren't toxic or dangerous, it is wonderful to accept people
with their extra weight,crooked teeth, idiosyncracies, and whatever...
if we check ourselves, and realize that we wanna be loved...even when we have an attitude problem, or children, or we don't have a perfect body. Maybe that'll help us to love other people...not in spite of their flaws, but because of their flaws.

i remember when i fell in love with my ex-husband. i remember upon first meeting
him, i had a million reasons i didn't want him,including his big glasses and his style of dress.
but as i spent time with him i fell in love with the way he looked in his glasses, and even his attire. as he became more and more open...i loved him more.


the other night, i was kicking it with Mr. 6'5", he was sitting and i was laying and he rubbed his hand over my stomach...i winced (that is a problem area) and moved his hand. He asked me, why, and was i insecure...i admitted that i wasn't too fond of that part of my body...and he went on to tell me that i shouldn't feel like that and that i was fine...and all that. Not to say, that he is the one by any means


(i'm pretty sure he isn't) but just for that moment, i felt accepted, despite my problems.

and that's pretty kool.

it's like God. He knows us better than we know ouselves...Let me speak for me.
He has seen me through it all, the bad decisions (the many bad decisions), when my hair ain't right, when i need a shower, when i'm tired, silly, evil, rebellious, imperfect, HE STILL LOVES ME...flaws and all. Whoa!

and i know, the man is forthcoming who will love me...flaws and all...kids and all...imperfections,mood swings, morning breath and all...lol. i still believe that person exists for each of us, if we wait on God...He'll work it out.


4 real tho.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Baby Gurl, we often accept other's flaws because 1)either we don't see them (certainly not the way or to the extent that the person with the flaws sees them...heck, we may even like them), 2)we know what it's like to have flaws because we have so many ourselves or 3)we're more interested in the PERSON, not the features.

Whatever your flaws may be, I'm sure they go into making you the wonderful person you must be. Embrace them or work on them, but never allow them to define you.

Thanks for stopping by the "Journey". I'm not sure how you found me but I'm glad you did. You are welcome as often as you care to come. I'll be back!

Shai said...

What a good post. I have been working on accepting my own flaws and not judging others.

JustMeWriting said...

I LOVE this post...there's nothing I can even say...you are just very special...indeed. I did a post called "Flawless" I think it was my second or third one...but check it out (March) and tell me what you think.

HAVE A WONDERFUL WEEKEND LADY.

Ray said...

(I KNOW IT HAS BEEN A MINUTE SINCE I STOPPED THROUGH)

Wow,

I Co-Sign with Ms Shai in which I plead guilty to that as well. Although it is easy to lapse back into pointing fingers and not accepting your F-Ups so to say, nice post.