Wednesday, September 07, 2005

I had steak for dinner...what about you?

A lot has happened since I last wrote. I went away to Florida,heard from Paula White, saw Kelly Price in concert and turned 25 (9/1) !!! What a blessing. However all these blessings were tempered by the tragedy of Hurricane Katrina. Ironically with the same name as my best friend.
As I laid in the "safety" of my hotel room bed, tears welled up in my eyes looking at the reflections of my self on CNN. It took my breath away. I don't know about you, but I literally had to focus on breathing because my instinct was to stop. Did you see the devastation? It is far worse than anything Al-Quiada or any terrorist cell is capable of. When 9/11 occurred I remember feeling like I wanted to go there, but it was just a feeling that soon subsided. However, this time around...it was more than a feeling. It was an absolute necessity. I reached in my pocket, I wanted to buy formula, and diapers...but considering how shallow my pockets were I had to do more. I thought, it could be me, in fact it is me. Because in America...I , or Bill Cosby, or even Oprah may feel different than the masses of poor or underprivileged blacks, but in a situation like this,where money and education are useless...we are all just a bunch of black folk. . .stranded on a roof, begging for food, leaving behind dead loved ones, trying to survive.
So I volunteered to go. I haven't heard back yet. This trip may already have its fill of volunteers, but I will wait my turn...but I must go. I have been praying, and I have become aware of how trivial a lot of the things I worry and complain about are. I have a place to sleep tonight, it's warm here, and there is cable, internet, and a phone...not to mention my fill of food and running water. The precious things we take for granted. With this awareness I realize how awesome God is. He sees everything..and everyone's hardships...some severely worst than others...yet he cares about us and our situations the same...no matter how trivial. That is amazing to me...I want to reflect that kind of love and concern to others.
Anyway, I had steak last night...more than one piece and it was good. I was hungry, but as I ate it I was painfully aware of how blessed I am...I had steak for dinner what about you?

No comments: