Friday, June 22, 2007

Her First Recital...

It just so happened that the group I sing with had been booked for months to be the "entertainment" for an event on the same day as her recital.
I was determined to do both...I just didn't have it all figured out.
I didn't wanna let my group down, as each of us is essential to the group...besides it was only our 2nd paying gig...and it paid more than the first.
my babygirl...she'd been in african dance and ballet now for several months.
i could tell she was getting bored, and that was upsetting me...because i thought she was so good at it, and i knew beyond this season i couldn't force her to keep dancing.
well she got a ride with her afro/ballet teacher to her recital, and i did my singing thing, and left in enough time that i'd only be about 20 minutes late.

well don't u know, the directions were to the wrong place. i asked everyone within 5 miles of the RIGHT place...and no one knew. Until after an hour of driving around, totally lost..unable to get any info, a man gave me the wrong directions and i said NO! that's wrong...and he said, oh you must mean this other place. ?????
well he told me how to get to the other place. i get there and yes , it's the recital.
by now...i'm devasted. no one was there 4 her, i was breaking my neck to be there...
i got out my car, perspiring, no flowers, disappointed, ready to just pick her up and take her out to make it up to her...
when i walked in, i asked the lady at the door was it over...she said the second half had just begun, i said..."did i miss the little little girls??" and she said, "no, I think they are just now doing afro"...i paid 4 the ticket and ran into a huge crowded theatre....

i saw all these brown little girls in their african tutus and head wraps dancing around....
my heart was racing...i knew it was her class, my eyes scoured the stage...until i saw...
MY BABY!!
she was shaking and dancing and twirling, dipping, and stomping....waving her little arms...
unafraid.
i squealed, "i see her!" and then covered my mouth!!
Then i couldn't do anything but weep. I just cried like...I can't even explain it.
The build up, of trying to get there, getting lost, and then believing i wouldn't see her...and i walked in the door and my baby was shaking just what i gave her to the beat of the drummers.
so i cried.

i missed her do ballet...but i am buying the tape.
i'll post pix as soon as i get them back.

ohhh...btw, she likes dance now (yippie) she understands that all the practice was for a purpose...she likes being a star!!!

and I love seeing her shine!

6 comments:

Friar Tuck said...

cute!

JustMeWriting said...

OOOHHHH....that was wonderful. girl, I felt all that mother pride...wow, that's amazing...the little things that bring us joy.

Ladynay said...

Awwwwwwwww you had a mommy moment!

Unknown said...

God news Chan, glad to know you were there for your baby. GBU

Unknown said...

good* lol

Nikita T. Mitchell said...

wow that is really beautiful!