Monday, March 13, 2006

When it hits home



I got a phone call on my cell saturday afternoon.

The caller asked had I spoken to my father. Immediately I got worried and asked an apprehensive "why?" He continued saying, "Channel 6 news just called here looking for your dad." My heart was racing..I mean, what could all this be about, is he ok? did something happen? I instinctively repeated my first question. He said that there had been a break in at the church (where my daddy pastors) and that the person was shot.
I was in shock.
I hung up hurriedly and called my daddy. He sounded happy to hear from me, but when I mentioned that the news had called and everything, his voice changed. I heard a heavy but somewhat distant heart. He kinda told me what happened but wasn't much for details and assured me that people were in place taking care of it.

The details I later learned were mostly from the news and newspapers
and from one person who knew the victim.


It turns out that for some undetermined reason the young man, Richard Dunn (19yr old) ran into the church with a knife. Someone called 911. When he fled the police were waiting for him outside. According to the police, Dunn "lunged" at an oficer with the knife. The officer shot him twice. The young man collapsed, got up and ran about 150 yards and then collapsed dead.
(Read the story @ http://www.nbc10.com/newsarchive/7932743/detail.html and http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/frontpage)

At my church.

This has nothing to do with me, but so much to do with the world...the state of things.
I'm sad, and angry...and frustrated and down right disappointed.
Angry because I don't believe they had to kill him.

Angry because this young man was never reached...
Someone, or maybe everyone dropped the ball. His parents, the school district and the church.

I keep wondering, what sent him into the church? There are many stores nearby...but he came into the church. And altho it was reported that he "broke in" the church doors are generally open on saturdays...and there were no signs of forced entry.
Perhaps he was tired and didn't know where to go. I don't know.
I don't discount the fact that he had a criminal record, that he had a weapon...

no indeed, I'd have called 911 as well.
But some how he slipped through the cracks. Now he's gone.

Every time a young person dies tragically...we ask ourselves, how can we stop this.
I don't have any anwers besides love and prayer.
I had a nightmare the day he died, but my heavy heart is nothing compared to that of his mother's...or any of his family.

I am so sorry that this happened. Please pray with me for the Dunn family and even for the officer who killed him and the entire Willingboro Community....

prayer changes things.

9 comments:

Friar Tuck said...

Sounds very sad.

It seems to me that even if they had to shoot him, they could have done it in a way that did not kill him.

But if someone was coming at me with a knife I dont know what I would do.

It almost sounds like "suicide by cop".

LUVIN ME said...

I don't feel they should have killed him. They could have shot him in the leg. Then, just maybe, there would be some answers.

latinachik4lif said...

Damz, I really am sad to hear this. Me as being young already know so much of live because of the things I've been through. And i have to say it does hurt so much. I can't believe this police officer had to actually shoot him twice. He could have just shot him once but just not kill him. This just makes it all so sad. I hope this never happens again. Chan...hopefully you are doing aight. I will pray. Stay safe.

Ms.Honey said...

I will def keep you and those affected in my prayers. God is sooo awesome and he has a way of working things out just so that we might question and when we realize what's he's doing..we're like ohhhh ok..I get it now..when he doesn't really care if we got it or not....

Organized Noise said...

They didn't have to kill him. Officers are trained to shot away from the vital organs. They are trained to shot for the legs as a means of immoblizing a suspect. It is very unfortunately that this young man had to die, but hopefully his death will not be in vain. Hopefully someone else will turn their life around because of the situation.

MZPEACH said...

Very touching Diamond. You made very valid points. Very well said Tamiko.

TrinaBeingTrina said...

I'm very sorry to hear about this babygirl....just like tamiko said..the devil has a strong hold on our young people.

Ladynay said...

I swore I commented on this but apparently I didn't hit publish or something....

You, yours, the victim, and his, along with your entire church fam are in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

no doubt Chan, its covered.

Kaitan