Sunday, August 28, 2005

Self Respect (a poem)

Shook my head
in dismay at this chick
who I knew shoulda knew betta
Throwin herself at him
up on him like a sweater.

She kept calling
tried waiting for him to ring her
eyeing the phone
she'd jump and breathe deep
at a vibrating cellular. . .

Hello?...
Tryna sound sexy
(not in desperation)
Heart in her throat...
Disappointment returned her salutation.

I'm watchin her
and thinkin to myself,

girl you better pull it together
make him want you
act like he don't matter

But you tell me
you love him
and I can understand
but what about you
love yourself, before a man

With that, I turned away
the mirror to my back
faced the shame, wiped the tears

and grabbed some SELF RESPECT.


C.Betner
copyright 2005
All Rights Reserved







3 comments:

Chocolatelocs said...

Excellent poem

feels good b n FREE said...

black ambition...thanx, much appreciated

msjaim said...

That was a nice piece unfortunately .. thats me tto sis.. damn. Are all the decent women going through hell?