Sunday, February 26, 2006

Needing A Reminder

Right when I'm feeling frustrated, overwhelmed, depressed, lonely, or unappreciated God sends me a reminder of who I am, and how many people care about me.

It began on Wednesday...I had promised a young man from my church I'd take him to lunch. He recently returned from serving in Iraq and he used to be one of my "youths."
He returned to his station in Georgia on Saturday. So before he left, I promised that we'd have a chance to sit and talk away from the church.
So we went to eat. I felt silly being the mentor as he dwarfed me by an entire foot! Anyway, we sat down and began talking. Sharing things from Iraq, to the Lord, to our personal relationships...
At some point the conversation switched.
He began to mentor ME! He talked about his faith, about how $20,000 had been stolen from his bank account but because of his faith he still was able to purchase a 2006 Nissan Altima. I just looked at this MAN in amazement.
When we got on the topic of relationships, I shared with him some of what I'd been going through and he just reminded me, so sweetly how worthwhile I AM.
He basically told me, I don't have to take nothing from no one. He said, "if he needs time to think, give it to him, and then you decide when he comes back if you have time." He told me the problem with most women is that they don't have the inner strength to say NO, and stand by it.
I flushed, thinking back to the times I've broken up with someone only to call them back the next day like, "baby I was trippin." Why? cause I didn't like the feeling, of making him mad, of being alone, the idea that he might find some one better.
All telling of my own self assurance.
I just smiled at him and listened. As we left he stepped outta my hoop ride, walked past his new whip and came around to hug me. He mighta smothered me in his hug, but at that moment I felt so loved, so appreciated, so reminded...that I could wait to breathe. lol

Then last night, my best friend called me. I was so happy. She was supposed to work...and the man who I'd waited all day for all of a sudden had a party to attend. Part of me wanted to stay home and sulk. The other part of me was determined to go out and forget his foolishness. I had been bombarded with phone calls from people trying tie me down for the night. But I truly wasn't beat...I wiggled my way out of committing to anyone. But then Trina called. I was thinking "YES"
that's my girl ya'll. Prolly if u just read our blogs you'd think it is impossible. We are truly like night and day. Some folx might be mad at me, but I feel like God placed her in my life!!
Alright, I ain't gonna gush. When we went out last night she said "chan u just 'gush' all over that blog...brotha buck was like 'you just lovey,lovey,lovey" we just laughed and i said "that's just me Treen" and she agreed that's just how I'm is. lol
Going out with her was so on time. Our "dudes" figured as late as we were out, we wuz with other men, and we just laughed and enjoyed each other so much. It didn't even matter.
It's so good to have real friends. That you can be straight up with, act ugly in front of, cry with, laugh with, SHOP WITH, everything. I have lots of folx in my life that I love but that girl! whew!

Wonderful reminders... and right on time!



14 comments:

Ladynay said...

True friends are priceless. To have many people in your surroundings where you can just be yourself is a wonderful present that should be cherished!

feels good b n FREE said...

@tam...thank you for what your are saying. the truth is so changing.
God reminds us of His love for us through earthly vessels. Sometimes we know, but we need to feel some one's hand touch us, someone laugh with us, pray with us...God understands that. He reminds me that I matter in so many ways...and I am so grateful.
naturally, we lean toward double mindedness. But indeed I am resolute that when I lose focus, fall off track, get worried with the daily goings on and drama...to remember who I am and the God that I serve. I am so far from right, holy, or anything like that. That is why I fall short...why I find myself paying attention to the tangible things and people that hurt me and disappoint me.
BUT GOD!
I am just grateful that we can be who we are, imperfect people that fall short and still be loved, forgiven and given mercy from the Lord!

@ladynay...friends are no coincidence. God knew what he was doing when He made them. And boy am I happy about that!!

Friar Tuck said...

sounds like NO VALENTINE man is messin up again?

**shakes head**

he is never going to learn.

chase said...

i read what your army friend said, to my daughter...and we sat and analyzed it together...that was cool.

chase said...

oh yes, thanks for the b-day wishes....::::smile::::

feels good b n FREE said...

@friar...lol, he's "testing" me. But I don't have time to be tested. He wants me to prove to him that I wanna be with him, but I just don't jump thu hoops. Now, we talk when HE calls, I go out with him when I decide.
He'll learn, maybe not for me...but maybe because of me :)

@Chase...ooh, that is so neat. What did she think about what he said?
And of course about the Bday wishes!!! U know u deserve that and more!

Casey said...

I can relate to whatcha saying... True, God sent friends are the best.

Friar Tuck said...

Yeah I say forget that rascal and move on!

LUVIN ME said...

That is so true. There is nothing like a true friend!

Ms.Honey said...

You know it's so funny how God knows what we need when we need it and how we need it. I def agree with sayin no one minute and regretting it only to regret getting back into something that you dont' really want in the first place.

I loved this post

Superstar Nic said...

Those reminders do show up just in time don't they? I have been feeling pretty down here lately for so many different reason, but I am also reminded of how blessed I truly am.

Come check out my latest post. I gave you a shout out!

MZPEACH said...

Oh you are so sweet Diamond. You act like my sister Summer. I call her the golden child. You are both sweet hearts. That is why I truly enjoy reading your blog.

Fresh said...

Glad you are out of that funk :-)

TrinaBeingTrina said...

First of all I'm real late but gurl, stop lettin' people know I got a "nice" side to me. I'm supposed to be a "bad girl" ;-)

But on a serious note..How many times have I said the problem is you women DO NOT know your worth. Yall better recognize.