Saturday, September 24, 2005

ROLL (tears) BOUNCE (niggas)


So maybe you can tell from the title I saw the movie Roll Bounce.
While I was in the movie theatre I couldn't wait to get home to blog all about it!

First let me talk about my ghetto behind theatre experience:
I'm from New Jersey but I'm currently living in Maryland just 10 minutes outside of DC. The town that I live in is probably 98.99% Black Folk...maybe even 99.99%. I love my people but I DID NOT LOVE watching a movie with them. So maybe I'm one of those 'ciddity nigros. I grew up in Blackwood NJ. Blackwood is probably 30% black. I was kool with that. There was always a few chocolate faces in the mix wherever I went. I used to long for more...


*record needle screeches across the album...music abruptly stops*

... until tonight.

We file into the cinema and take our seats about 20 minutes before the movie begins. It was a good number of people in there, I didn't expect that many more would come since it was a 4:30pm showing. Chattering started right away. So I'm thinking, this is cool...it'll stop when the previews start. HA!

Before the previews start they play a mini film talking about "SILENCE IS GOLDEN." It might as well have been in Chinese because when the previews started "niggers" were talking and yelling back and forth like we was at the park. I'm kneeing my brother like, Can you believe this??
A half an hour into the movie my folx are STILL making there way in and 'scusing themselves down the row in front, behind, and next to me. UGH! I'm like stop it! Then there was a couple behind us with their children. The couple narrated the meaning of everything to their kids in my ear.Like" da reason dey said that is 'cause when I was little my dad useda say ..." Not to mention that the dad sang E'ry seventies song ...WORD-FOR-WORD!
I was like so much for golden silence, I guess I'd have to settle for silver mumblin, or bronzed mouf running. Oh well. If you can't beat um...
So I turn to my brother when the Roll bounce song comes on and sing in his ear..."ROLLL.....BOUNCE!" He looks at me and says "I guess ignorance is contagious." I just laughed.

Now about the movie, it was pretty good. Believe it or not BowWow was really a believable actor. The story line was terribly predictable but the characters were so lovable that you wanted to hang in there through it. Not to mention that them fools Mike Epps and Charlie Murphy made the movie for me!

I wanted to fall on the floor laughin.(hehehe) I fought being irked by the skate doubles...Nobody is dumb enough to believe the characters were doing all that intricate skating. Especially when the movie would cut to the legs moving, and then back up to the top half dancing. Still the endearing moments were enough to keep you from being pissed for spending $8 to see it.

I knew before going that Bow's character X had lost his mother. BUT I didn't expect that to matter too much to me. And it almost didn't. There was a moment in it that was like straight outta my life...
X and his dad (who had a slight resemblance to my daddy) Have a heated encounter ending in both of them breaking down about not having their mother/wife anymore. I been there. So I cried. My brother and I thought "Daddy can't see this movie."
I know by now you think I cry easily, but that's just 'cause I don' let you in too much. But I weeped, quietly of course! My baby wiped my tears. He said to his siblings, "his mom died, like mommy's mommy died." OGH!

But in the end there was joy! I love a happy ending...even though the film didn't go for a totally predictable ending...it was close. I liked it though.
A pretty good movie overall, enjoyable for the fam. But listen just don't go with a bunch of rowdy black folx...unless you don't wanna hear nuffin but them.
Don't be mad at me, it's true. But I LUB U! All of U!
It was too many of ya'll up in there for me to yell "shut up!"...I wasn't tryna be rolled or bounced up outta there...lol!

17 comments:

Icey said...

OK I understand about movies with 'our' people. I try to support the theatres in our neighborhoods but um I would much rather hear the movie without the constant dialogue from other folks!! lol

I will probably wait until that movie goes to the $1.50 theatre cause a sista's on budget!!!

Great blog!

Fresh said...

One word for ya'...Netflix.com LOL! I know, I know they claim they are giving 10% of the proceeds to Katrina victims so maybe you can tolerate it for a good cause...just this once. But seriously, everyone in the DC area complains about that same issue at the movie theater. It is an epidemic. I don't remember ever going to a theater to see new releases when I lived out there so I can't suggest another theater. Nice blog you have here. I'll be back.

Chele said...

ouch @ you calling folks nigger. Hope that doesnt set us back a few....hundred years.

I'm not even supposed to be here today said...

Such "participation" should be reserved for the Rocky Horror Picture Show!

I probably would have just joined in too... it beats sitting there a getting more and more annoyed!

feels good b n FREE said...

@chele...I don't think so. There is definitely a difference between "niggas" and "niggers"
Trust! But I am a believer that just because there are stereotypes of us doesn't mean we have to fulfill them.Most of us know how to compose ourselves...others give meaning to the slur "NIGGER"
if the shoe fits...

@icey, I'm a supporter too, but can I PLEASE see the movie without constant dialouge and narration?? lol yanno? I can't even watch movies @ home with mouth runners. :)Thanx 4 comin by

@Berry, I'm MAD at this epidemic. I feel you,Netflix might be my alternative. (smile) Nice seeing u come by!

@Rachel...when in Greece... (smile)

Mike said...

We have a serious question for you, other than that, your site is great!

theequeenbee said...

You should have known better than to expect black folks not to talk to the movie screen. It's in the DNA of the Nigga gene like showing up late and having a taste for chicken. We siddty negros have learned to suppress it. Just kidding, but I know what you mean (I'm from Mount Laurel, NJ).

Anonymous said...

hey chica. ur words are lovely and funny. thanks for checking me out too...

as for putting links in your blog...

there is a function in the toolbar menu (looks like a chain link) that allows u to make a word link to a web site. You must highlight the word, and then click on that function. A window will pop up. Put in the web site u want the word to link to.

sorry if this is confusing. a blog-coach i am not. but i'm sure you'll figure it out.

one.

http://thejamilachronicles.blogspot.com

feels good b n FREE said...

lmao@ me saying when in greece
lol
I meant when in Rome...hehehe

my brother always has jokes...he said"Chandra, When in Greece do like the Grecians?? lol"

oh well

Anonymous said...

haha! i would have been heated as well. i can't stand folk talking during the flick. that jersey livin killed any chance of us loving the excess chatter so freely provided by black folk the world over.

be easy ma,
tara

feels good b n FREE said...

@ ree, don't hate lol
congratulate!

i'm kiddin..i'm jus tryna be down.

luvyagurl!

Brotha Buck said...

Hey, you must be new to the blogosphere! I'm glad I stopped by, and glad you did too. That Roll Bounce movie looks like it will bring back memories. But I could never skate. And, uh, yes, I will wait for the DVD version.

TrinaBeingTrina said...

I have so much to say about your ramblin'. first of all can you not tell the whole dam story about what happened in the movie. I might have wanted to see it. DANG!! And can you stop actin' like you Siskel & Ebert. You might have enjoyed the movie more had you not prefaced it HAHAHA!!!! Inside joke, you know what I mean

feels good b n FREE said...

@trina hehehe
you can still see the movie chik...
I bet Dante' told u to write that about me prefacing the movie...ya'll make me sick!

xoxoxo

Chele said...

Sis...that's black on black crime no matter how you slice it. White folks couldn't call you nigger OR nigga whether they tried to justify it by the way they think you act or not. That's just plain ol ugly and we have had people die in the struggle just for us to say....there's a difference between niggas and niggers.....when they both really do mean the same thing. We've just embraced romanticized one. *sighs*

feels good b n FREE said...

@ chele point taken. I understand and even agree with your argument, but the truth is I have as well as many other have grown accustom to hearing and using the term nigga. Everyone has an opinion on this.Some say words are only given power by the user and that is agreeable as well. I hate to equivocate, but I am truly on the fence here. Even if I think it's wrong...I'm afraid I'd have to work extrememly hard to stop embracing it's use by our people. *sighs*

feels good b n FREE said...

@ jamila..thanx for not forgetting a sista!!